This was originally a section of one of our Kickstarter campaign for Stash, but it is a pretty good explanation of our philosophy on Free-to-Play and microtransactions.
Pay What You Want (PWYW)
Our Take on Free-to-Play
For over 20 years Frogdice has used some variation of this payment model. We want to make it easy for people to play Stash and enjoy playing it with all of their friends. Our philosophy has always been: “Make the game fun enough that people play long enough, and eventually the money will take care of itself.”
We have a virtual currency called Medallions that is used in Stash and other Frogdice games. Medallions can be used to purchase a wide variety of completely optional things. The Medallion shop is primarily for cosmetics, convenience, and customization. Anything that provides in-game power will also be obtainable by playing the game.
Examples of things you can buy with Medallions in Stash:
- Cosmetic items for your costume slots.
- Temporary +% XP boost potions (saves time).
- Instant teleport consumable to your BOO (saves time).
- Decorative house items.
Things we don’t do:
- Require purchases to continue character advancement.
- Create intentionally frustrating things you have to buy your way out of. (like “energy systems”)
- Bait and switch tactics or things that trick you into spending Medallions.
Ultimately, this is a matter of trust between developer and player. Our 20+ year history of using this type of model ethically and responsibly shows we do it the right way.